Tuesday, March 31, 2009

messing up

how will you feel if you see an all-new orange stamp pad messed up with green ink?

好端端的一盒橙色印台,被深綠色的墨水染污了,你會有甚麼感覺?


to be honest, i frowned (at heart). i was almost going to ask rafael to refrain from mixing stamps of different colours - but wait - is it the stamp pads that are more important, or rafael?

though i don't have any cleaning obsessions, at times i still find it struggling to just let go and let rafael make a mess in his art / cooking / whatever little explorations at home. i have to keep on reminding myself: is it the tidy floor / table / fingers / clothes that matters, or rafael's fun and experience with things?

a dirty stamp pad - isn't it the perfect chance to introduce the concept of colour mixing?

and if we can't even get messy when we're children, when can we?

我忍不住心裡皺起眉來,幾乎要下令靖愷不要將顏色混在一起... 慢著,到底是完美無暇的印台還是靖愷重要?

禁止小手亂摸亂碰,禁止弄污衣服/頭髮/地板/桌面... 那小人兒又怎去親自發掘這世界?

小朋友,你看印台染黑了,原來橙溝綠會變成黑?

弄污了的小人兒由頭到腳都可以洗,我最不願洗掉的只有他的求知慾。

7 comments:

aulina said...

I hear you! Been there done that... still can't bear the sight of messy art! (That's why I let them take lessons outside of my place!)

alsace said...

It is not easy to tell myself not saying "dirty" or "no" to stop Aidan what he is doing. You did very well to let Rafael having exploration.

Kambayashi said...

I think u are really great parent. U have HUGE patience and I agree what u said. but I just can't can't can't bear the mess....I'm trying little by little to let him explore, but my steps are very small. Good job mom and dad. Lucky Rafael. Maybe when summer time comes, I will let Yoshi explore all he wants outside the house then..

馬渡太太 said...

我是一個任性的人,對於管教takumi也是用任性(任意)的態度,日人爸爸對於管教也是用日人的一套,由得佢自由發展.

但於其他人的眼中,包括公公婆婆及街上的人,我們就是教而不善,不稱職的父母.

要please其他人還是要please自己或肥仔,我選擇後者,但容忍力要練得更高.

amy said...

dear all: in fact i'm just finding excuses for my own messiness. :P

kkmOm said...

Rafael is very lucky to have you two as his parents. :o)

amy said...

thank you, but not as lucky as the k sisters! :P